How We Do is a new series featuring cool/smart people and how they work/live. Harder/better/faster/stronger explanation here.
Meet Kathy Bouska, literally the very first blogger I met in real life. She’s the brains behind Mama Kat’s Losin’ It and is also a hysterical vlogger. (Seriously if you’re not watching her videos and Jessi Sanfilippo’s videos, you’re missing out on some LOLs, for reals.)
1) What do you do? My blog is what brought me to this online world and because of it I now work as a remote contractor for TapInfluence, I have a weekly column called Crafty Mom’s Weekly Challenge at The Stir, and I create video for SheKnows Mommalogues. For a change of pace from blogging I love to upload videos on my YouTube channel, it’s my new favorite thing!
2) More about you, please. Other than running this town with my husband and three kids, ages 10, 8, and 6, I recently enrolled myself in horse lessons. My kids have been riding for a couple of years now so I decided to throw myself into the ring. It’s a lot harder than it looks!
3) What’s your work setup like? Most of my work is done at my dining room table. It’s a central location where, in addition to great light and windows looking into our neighborhood, I can also see everyone coming and going. I’m about four steps away from kids at all times and it’s a really convenient place to just pop over for a peek at email every now and again.
4) What’s one aspect of your work where you’re like “I’m killing it right now?” I feel most successful when I have a huge list of things to do and everything is coming together quicker than I thought. Or when my kids are all healthy and get off to school without a hitch! Or when I’ve tackled a looming deadline well before the due date! Or when I’ve finished a project and have managed to share it across my social media channels.
5) What’s one aspect of your work where you’re like “Uhhhhhh noooooo ahhhhhh whyyyy”? I hate the expectation I have of myself to produce content frequently. I set up weekly prompts for people who blog and another set of prompts for people who want to connect with a vlogging community. Sometimes I have no idea how to respond to my own prompts, but I don’t really have the choice to opt out on those days. It doesn’t happen often, but there are times when just producing content can be really frustrating.
6) What’s your favorite tip for working smarter, not harder? More often than not I probably make things harder than they need to be. Keeping a daily schedule is the only smart thing I do that probably saves my sanity a bit.
7) What are the biggest perks and biggest drawbacks to your current setup? The biggest perk will always be that I get to work from home. I don’t care how stressful, busy or overwhelming my day can get…I’m still in yoga pants. I’m really grateful I don’t have a boss breathing down my neck all day…I mean I do, but most of them are three years old and not intimidating at all. The drawback of my setup is it’s lack of security. Any job I have could decide it doesn’t need me anymore and you could find me scrambling tomorrow for more work. I hate that.
8) How do you balance work/life/home/self? I don’t believe in balance; it doesn’t exist. I tackle whatever is screaming at me the loudest and I try to organize my time accordingly. I use the calendar in Gmail to block off every hour of my day with a task of some sort and I try to stay on track.
9) What’s one product you cannot live without? Makeup and coffee. I can’t choose just one. They’re my two best friends when it comes to covering up how little I’m actually sleeping… although everyone can kind of tell something’s up when I start spinning in circles while rambling about pizza and hugs.
Got a question for Kathy? Ask below!