I haven’t written a Ballers of History post in a year and a half. YEAR AND A HALF! But, it keeps coming up and, you know, I’m a people pleaser except for when it comes to country music (haters to the left), so here’s another long overdue installment of….
It’s a way to get in touch with our world’s rich history, although my disclaimer is that I make a lot of junk up. Don’t use me as a reference on your history midterm paper, crazy high school student. Don’t use me or wikipedia. OR MAYBE USE BOTH. I don’t know. I’m not the boss of you.
I particularly love United States History, and I’m extremely pumped for the November release of the movie Lincoln. If you couldn’t guess based on the title, it’s an action film about robots invading North Korea. : : pause : :
Okay, yeah, it’s about Abraham Lincoln. Awesome life; tragic ending. Most of us know this guy pretty well. So, some fun facts about Abe that you may not have known:
1) Abraham Lincoln was the first President to be born outside of the thirteen original colonies. He hailed from what is now LaRue County, Kentucky. Nevermind that stuffy East Coast. Kentucky, represent!
2) [Edited because Reddit schooled me]: Kennedy’s secretary’s name was Lincoln. Both Lincoln and Kennedy’s Vice Presidents were named Johnson. Lincoln was elected to Congress in 1846. Kennedy was elected to Congress in 1946. Lincoln was elected as President in 1860. Kennedy was elected as President in 1960. DUN DUN dunnnn.
(Who’s that guy? That’s this guy.)
3) Lincoln’s son was seeing Lucy Hale while she was engaged to John Wilkes Booth. YO THAT IS SO MESSED UP.
4) Lincoln’s most controversial opinion was that he opposed slavery. He once invited Frederick Douglass – abolitionist and former slave – to the inaugural reception. Douglass was stopped at the door by policemen, even though he said Lincoln invited him. A messenger bolted in, found Lincoln and told him what was going on. Lincoln glided to the front, and all but shouted, “Here comes my friend Douglass.” Grabbed him by the hand and led him into the party. Fighting segregation. LIKE A SIR.
5) Lincoln almost DIED when he was kicked in the head by a horse.
Abe Lincoln. What a boss.